About Me

My photo
Hi Everyone! Welcome to my technology blog. I am a School Librarian with a particular interest in technology and the accessibility of information. I frequently post my recommendations and opinions about new (or new to me) online resources, iPad and iPhone apps, etc. Questions, comments and suggestions are more than welcome.

Follow me on Shelfari

Monday, November 1, 2010

Just the beginning...

Where to begin!  Technology has been advancing so quickly the last few years,  and it's hard for me to figure out what I want to say first!

I suppose I can start with the piece of technology that started my obsession... 

With the race on e-readers still hot and heavy there is so much to explore.  After much research and testing, I decided to go with the Ipad.  I wanted the most dynamic, smooth e-reader, as well as a versatile machine.  I didn't just want a book replacement (I love real books), I wanted something to lighten my load, organize me, simplify my life, while providing me with this most dynamic experience for doing so.  For me, the Ipad was everything it promised to be.  This year it is the only thing I carry.  It is ONE of my books, my textbooks, my dictionary, my notebooks, my calendar, and my laptop all in one tiny package that fits in my purse!  

I tried the other e-readers.. and I didn't like how they had to blink and shudder to "turn" the page.  With the Ipad just a swipe of the finger.. so smooth.  The ibook app in particular is beautiful, the pages turn like a real book and I even find myself playing with the edges while I'm reading!  You can also get any of the e-reader apps for Ipad.  I have ibook (Apple), kindle (Amazon), Nook (Barnes & Noble), and Kobo (Borders).  They are all a little different and some are more advanced than others.  I find I tend to use Ibook and Nook, more often than they others.  They are the most customizable and have the best, search, highlight, annotate, and dictionary features.  

Sure.. you can't really read in the sun... It's backlit.  And people who want to read a "book" while tanning might find that to be a  deal breaker... understandable, but I sit in the shade and/or use the case cover as a shield.  It's sufficient for my purposes. I don't really find the backlighting to be that much of a problem because you can dim and change the colors to your hearts content.  But I do notice the relief when I get a chance to pick up a "real" book.  So there is definitely some strain in the eye department.  Not nearly that of looking at a computer screen, and you can dim it all the way down and read in the dark without any lights, which I find to be a wonderful attribute.  I mean, what bibliophile DOESN'T want a solution to reading at night without disturbing their hubby, pet, or what have you? :D

Anyway, this is just the tip of the digital iceberg.  There is much more to come.  Stay tuned for more, comments, critiques, and complaints!




No comments:

Post a Comment